Brick-red colour, with a very complex nose of strawberry, pepper, tobacco and molasses with some oak notes. Medium-full bodied on the palate. Cherry pit and red fruit predominate, with a round mid-palate and soft/sweet tannins. The finish is fresh and very long, with notes of dried herbs and a touch of oak.
The trend for the vineyard growing season was set early in March, warmer and dryer than usual with quality sunshine through the summer. The warm weather through March caused grapevine bud development to be at least 10 days ahead of schedule, resulting in a longer growing season. There wasn’t any significant rainfall between the end of May and the end of September and temperatures were at or above normal. The outcome was fully mature grapes with high sugars and extremely concentrated flavours.
- Hand harvested, triple sorted, destemmed, gravity fed into open-top stainless steel fermenters
- 30% bleed, whole berry fermentation separate by varietal
- Pump over, punch down, delestage, 8 day fermentation 14 day post fermentary maceration
- Pumped into barrel, free run separated from press wine (1st press only)
- Malolactic fermentation in barrel
- Ageing in French oak barrels for 12 months, 30% new / 30% 1 year / 30% 2 year